Painted with a soldier holding a spear and shield before houses and a dense floral ground, the border divided in the manner of Chinese Late Ming ‘Kraak’ porcelain.
The distinctively stylised floral ornament was used at other factories in Albisola and Savona. The mark of the Lantern, the lighthouse of Genoa, was granted to the Grosso family factory by the Genoese Senate in 1641, it was later transferred to the Chiodo-Peirano factory of Savona.
For related similarly marked pieces see Cecilia Chilosi, Ceramiche della Tradizione Ligure, nos. 64, 67 and for an example dated 1683 see no. 72.
Rim chips, no restoration
According to paper label, Pietro Accorsi, an well-known antique dealer from Turin.
Cecilia Chilosi, Ceramiche della Tradizione Ligure, Thesaurus di opera dal Medio Evo al primo Novocento, Milan 2011