Conical bowl supported by an elaborate stem, formed from a slender rope of glass containing spiral threads of white and blue looped symmetrically, applied with pincered wings.
This form was first created in Murano before the end of the 16th century, but despite the threat of severe penalties, Murano craftsmen emigrated across Europe taking with them the secrets of Venetian glassmaking. This type of serpent glass made in the 17th century is thought to have been produced in the southern Netherlands or Germany.
One glass bearing a striking similarity to ours appears in a 17th century still life painting in the Herzog Anton Ulrich Museum, Braunschweig (inv.no GG 437). This was once thought to be by Van Hulsdonk , but is now considered to be by another Flemish artist of the period.
(Theuerkauff-Liederwald, 1994, p. 334 pl. 71)
Anna-Elisabeth Theuerkauff-Liederwald, Venezianisches Glas der Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg. Die Sammlung Herzog Alfreds von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (1844-1900), Venedig A la façon de Venice – Spanien – Mitteleuropa, (Kunstsammlungen der Veste Coburg, 1994)
Sold to the Winterthur Museum, USA